47 West 43rd Street
The Royalton Hotel is a hotel in at 44 West 44th Street, midtown Manhattan, New York City, USA.
The building was built in 1898 as the exclusive residential Hotel Royalton. The firm of Rossiter & Wright served as the architects, and the contractor was E. F. Dodson & Company. Its design was unusual because it was one of the first buildings to enable street-level passage from one block to the next. As originally designed, tenants had apartments overlooking 43rd or 44th Street, while servants lived in rooms overlooking the airshafts along the sides of the building.
It was reopened as the Royalton Hotel on October 10, 1988. It was the first property designed by Philippe Starck.